Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Visible sprocket holes in your image

  1. #1
    Inactive Member sharonhardy's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 17th, 2002
    Posts
    23
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello...I'm shooting shooting a music video in a couple of weeks using super 8. The band would like the option of seeing the edges of frames and sprocket holes in the final video. How does one get this? Is this something that can be requested in the telecine stage? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member firestorm_bsf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 26th, 2003
    Posts
    30
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    To the best of my knowledge, I don't believe it can be done. When you transfer the film, it's projected then recorded. Unless something's gone wrong with the projector [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] you wouldn't see the sprocket holes. That's just what I think. But maybe there's some other way.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member BolexPlusx's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2002
    Posts
    369
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The Work Printers make the entire frame including the sprocket holes visible.

    http://www.moviestuff.tv/8mm_telecine.html


    I'll bet if you contact them they can help you out.

    (I think it would be a really neat effect!!)

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ June 06, 2003 10:46 AM: Message edited by: BolexPlusx ]</font>

  4. #4
    Inactive Member jumar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 19th, 2003
    Posts
    28
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Cool idea. Make sure the sprocket holes are inside the tv safe area. Another idea: What about putting a slight angle on the telecine (or later in post) so that the edges have a bit of a diagonal run? If you did it in After Effects or something you could keep changing the angle slightly to give it an edgy feel.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member rollemfilm's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 1st, 2000
    Posts
    437
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You'll need to ask your transfer service if they can do a full aperture transfer. Most film is cropped and formated for tv. Full aperture will also have a black border around the entire image.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Matt Pacini's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2001
    Posts
    567
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm pretty sure they can't do this in normal telecine, but not positive.
    However, I AM positive you can do this with the Workprinter, because I have one!
    Get in touch with Roger (Moviestuff on this board) and he can do a test for you, & I'm sure you'll be happy with the results.

    Matt Pacini

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •